Thursday, May 22, 2008

"Mother's little helper" (click here for soundtrack to this post)


This is at Six Flags, but I really need one of these cages at my house!

It's only 9:45am, and I am in a horrible mood already! I'm trying to potty train my 2 year old, and we are not seeing eye to eye. He pooped in the bath and in the floor last night. He finally finished pooping in the potty after he left a trail of poop in the floor. He peed in my favorite rocking chair, in the corner of my room and in the floor. The kicker is that he knows how to get on the potty all by himself and pee. And he can hold it for hours. This is just a battle of wills at this point. I have given up so many times that I'm determined to not go back to diapers this time.

Because of that, I guess, everything they do is grating on my nerves. My five year old can't catch a break. I know it, but I can't seem to stop myself. He has some habits of his own, and I am determined to break them over the summer. For one, and this is a new one, he keeps raising the wood blinds and opening windows. He doesn't understand that it is dangerous for a child to open windows. Not to mention the damage (potential and actual) to the blinds. Why do you have to keep telling kids the same thing over and over and over?

I think we need to get out of the house when the baby wakes up and get some fresh air. And I think Mama needs a time out today. Unfortunately, my next time out is 11 weeks away when school starts back. Hmmm, maybe my crankiness is just dread of the long, hot summer. Either way, it's not their fault, I'm the adult, and I need to get a grip!

Edited to add:
I ended up calling some friends to meet me out at the playground in the neighborhood where we have a lot. We had a picnic and let the kids and dogs play for 3 hours. Booboo went through 3 pairs of shorts, but we all had a blast. It's amazing to me how much better I feel when I get outside and surround myself with my supportive friends. I am so thankful for them.
When we got home, I washed Booboo up for his nap, and he peed in the potty! Yay!

1 comment:

Plan Our Health said...

That's awesome that you have such great friends. It really helps to have someone to talk to. Having moved so much, I miss having close girlfriends now. Hopefully we'll get more involved around here.